Welcome to the cosplay progress post of shame, where in an effort to kick myself in the face for leaving an Evangelion plugsuit to the last few weeks, I try to write about where I’m at in this point in time. Less than two weeks till con? Let’s not think about that too much.
Because I had the basics of the bodysuit figured out, I decided that the next big hurdle would be the plugsuit chest armour. All my nearest and dearest have heard me frustrated about the lack of a working solution, but when it finally comes down to the line — make it work, designers.
The primary issue is one of design vs function, in which the chest armour is obviously made of a molded material of some sort — anime space plastic, or what have you. However, there is no functional shoulder movement built in, as the arm connects directly to the shoulder — effectively caging the entire upper torso. As I didn’t have any flexible plastic or rubber casting experience, it would need to be ruled out for this current project.