This weekend, my trip to New York City happened to coincide with the grand opening of the fourth ThinkGeek IRL store! Naturally, I had to check it out.
Walking into the store was like walking into a physical version of their website albeit far smaller. I definitely loved the little NYC/nerd touches they added like the fake subway sign pictured above. The biggest draw back is that they’re working with a relatively space and can therefore only feature a small fraction of their inventory. They make the most of the space available and have a little bit of everything. It’s unlikely that anyone will walk in and not find something that they want to buy. That said, I’d love to see them up their selection of geek clothing especially given their proximity to the Garment District.
What they definitely have working for them is a friendly staff who are more than happy to chat and help you out. Everyone there couldn’t have been nicer and made my experience shopping there lovely. Shout out to the cashier who heard me say that I was going to get myself in trouble in that store and then later on say she wanted to be the one to ring up the trouble maker.
And if you think I walked out of the store without buying anything… yeah, you probably haven’t been reading White Hot Room very long because I have terrible self control in these situations. I’m happy to say that I’m now the owner of this awesome Captain Phasma Loungefly purse (which was a total steal at only $42!!!) and this A New Hope Opening Crawl bracelet from Love and Madness!
If you want to check the store out for yourself (and you absolutely should!) head over to 33rd and Broadway. ThinkGeek is in the bottom half of the GameStop there. They are open from 9-9 on Monday through Saturday and 10-8 on Sunday.
Need a little holiday pick-me-up? Not sure what to do with that lackluster last minute gift list? Don’t even worry about seasonal deadlines, because it’s cool, you got this, and even if you don’t — a little show of love and friendship goes a long way.
Gooooood Morning, White Hot Roomers! (You should’ve said that like Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam.) Just like last year, we’re rounding up some of the deals we think be of interest to YOU, our wonderful readers. We’ll be updating this post as we find more deals over the next few days but in the mean time, be sure to check out the deals that we’ve found so far!
- Starting at 9pm Thursday, Her Universe will start their Holiday Sale which will include up to 60% off select items (they have not yet specified which.) All orders of $25+ will receive their free 2014 Holiday pin and they’re offering free shipping on orders of 4+ items. These offers run through December 15th. Make sure you don’t miss their adorable new holiday Star Wars, Doctor Who, and Marvel dresses!
- With the code ElfinSale, ThinkGeek currently offers 20% off orders of $40+, 25% off orders of $100+, and 30% off orders of $150+. The code is good through 11:59 Pacific Time on November 29th.
- Arda Wigs will offering 20% off all in-stock items with the code 20k14 running from midnight to midnight Central Time on December 1st.
- If digital comics are your thing, Dark Horse is offering 50% off all digital comics on Cyber Monday running from midnight to midnight Pacific Time. The deal requires at $20 cart minimum though.
- For all your sewing needs, check out JoAnn Fabric over the next few days. Currently, they’re offering free shipping on orders of $50+ or for just $1.99 with the code SleighBells331 AND 40% off all Singer Sewing Machines.
- If kate spade is your style, they’re having a surprise 75% off sale right now through Saturday.
What’s the best way to spend Thanksgiving weekend? Certainly not the battle royale mall crowd of nebulous good deals. But when we get a little quiet time during this week and some hot promos are thrown into our laps, we can’t help but check out some of the online deals from our favoured haunts.
All week sales with a themed deal a day, we’re looking forward to Marvel and Star Wars because that’s just where we live. But check back on Friday and Monday for a focus on all tees, and use the following codes to get yo’ discounts:
BLACKFRIDAYTSHIRTS15 for 15% off all regular price tees
BLACKFRIDAYTSHIRTS25 for 25% off all regular price tees on orders over $100
CYBERTSHIRTS15 for 15% off all regular price tees
CYBERTSHIRTS25 for 25% off all regular price tees on orders over $100
New holiday releases from Her Universe not enough? How about a Black Friday exclusive pin with every purchase and free shipping? We thought so.
If the week long deal of 20% off orders of $40 (code BLACKMAGIC) isn’t your thing, then come back to check out their Cyber Monday page for further deals!
Get your head in the nylon ninja game, because it’s on. With the list of sale items going out this Friday, be super fast ready to grab the pieces off your want list — items sell, and they sell fast. Sale goes live Sunday @ 6PM EST, so keep an eye on their Facebook for further details. We’re hoping the Lord of the Rings collection makes the final cut, because this Hobbit Map Dress completes us.
In shocking news, Iron Man 3 came out on Friday. If you’re like us, you saw it already and now you have Iron Man on the brain. For our brains, that often translates to Iron Man looks on the body. (What’d you expect from a geek fashion blog?) We’re going to look at this from two ways: the more obvious and the more subtle.
If you want to wear your loyalty to Iron Man on your sleeve or rather your body. If so, Etsy and ThinkGeek have you covered!
On the other hand, maybe you want to keep your geek more on the downlow but still want to give yourself that Tony Stark mental vibe. Colours are the easiest thing to adhere to for an Iron Man look but so is a look that’s either sleek and chic or that has a bit of a harder edge to it. (Tony Stark is a man with many sides.)