Turns out that I am, in fact, incapable of saying no to Mulan merchandise. I really don’t know where this street wear-ish style Bria came from but we’re just going to roll with it for now because I like being comfortable apparently. It’s okay: skinny pants and pencil skirt Bria will be back before you know it.
Mulan Vest: Hot Topic/Her Universe
Black Tank: Target
Black Cargo Pants: DKNY
Welcome back to a special San Diego Comic-Con edition of our monthly Fav 4 and because SDCC was this weekend, I’m including 5 different collections. Listen, I can make whatever rules I want. There’s some really cool stuff in here so why limit us to four?
- Hero Within debuted a new Marvel collection along with some SDCC exclusive designs. I’m swooning over the Black Panther dress.
- Her Universe held their annual fashion show at SDCC. Kay over at Fangirl Blog has a great write up of it. There are some really neat designs.
- In further Her Universe news, they also launched a collection inspired by The Clone Wars, a Captain Marvel jacket, and some Doctor Who pieces. Some are already available online. I’m going to go mad if I can’t get my hands on the Padmé jacket soon.
- The winners of last year’s Her Universe fashion show designed a new Disney Princess collection. I’m strongly considering getting the Mulan vest.
- Finally, in non-SDCC news, Musterbrand has put up their Avengers inspired collection for preorder. I would like to buy almost all of it.
- Box Lunch released a new line of Mulan themed items (timed with the Lunar New Year) and while they’re cute, my favorite of the bunch is definitely this mini backpack by Loungefly. The pattern is adorable!
- While Rock Love’s entire Black Panther jewelry line looks fantastic, my favorite piece is the talon earrings. Check out their entire collection though especially if you loved the film.
- Musterbrand is, as always, killing it with their Star Wars pieces and I couldn’t be more thrilled that they’re doing more Rebel pilot themed gear because Lin and I are both ride or die for the Rogues and Wraiths. (Be on the look out for an outfit post featuring the cape soon…) This sweater is a subtle nod to the flak vest but those who know will know. They’ve been teasing plenty of new designs on their social media recently so be sure to check those out.
- And finally, we’ve got one more Black Panther piece which really is only appropriate for the month. Her Universe’s Nakia inspired shirt is definitely the standout of their small line.
Awesome Con is this weekend and it’s going to be totally awesome! As you may have guessed from the image above, I’m taking it easy on the cosplay front this convention but I will be rocking some cute Her Universe fashion on Sunday to compensate. I’ll be roaming around the convention almost from the start on Friday and covering the con for Tosche Station. If you see me, please come say hi.
The two places you’ll definitely be able to find me will be on Sunday on the two panels I’m running. At 11am in Room 145B, I’ll be chatting about Diversity in Pop Culture with Amy Ratcliffe and Esther of Fantom Comics. Then later at 3:30pm in Room 156, it’ll be all things Star Wars as I discuss the State of the Galaxy with John Morton, Amy Ratcliffe, Anna Mitchell, and Jay Shah. If you’re still not convinced, we’ll have plenty of giveaways courtesy of Del Rey including tons of the Samplers they had at Celebration and copies of all of their thus far published books.
I’m hardly the first person to want to do a Disney/Star Wars mashup costume but there was something that just felt right about making Mulan into a Jedi Knight. Being Jedi Mulan all day at Star Wars Celebration was a fantastic feeling. A ton of little girls came up and wanted to get a picture with me.
I’m super grateful to Saf for doing an impromptu photoshoot with me. It was literally at the end of the convention, we were all super tired, and yet she was still willing to shoot with me.
Jedi Mulan: Bria
What was almost as fun as wearing the costume was designing it. Several pages of my sketchbook are filled with different designs that pulled more from the Disney side or the Jedi side but I’m really happy with how the final product looked. There’s nothing I would’ve changed. Well except for maybe having an actual Mushu.